The Procedure Of MRI Scan
During this scan, the patient is asked to slide into a tube-like machine that is actually a large scanner containing high-definition magnets. This scanner is linked to a computer away from the magnetic field. The patient has to remain inside the scanner for 15-90 minutes depending on the length of the organ to be scanned. In some cases, a dye is injected into the patient. It facilitates the radiologist to see certain organs or tissues clearly. The patient has to remain still during the scan for better results.
Understanding MRI Scan Costs
MRI test costs depend on the part of the body being scanned. A few are listed here:
- Abdominal Scan: It is done to scan the internal structure of the stomach to check the blood flow, condition of blood vessels present in the abdomen, to determine the cause of swelling or pain in the lymph nodes in abdomen, pancreas, liver, kidneys, etc.
- Arm MRI Scan: It is used for imaging of the organs present on the upper and lower arms including elbows, fingers, joints, wrists, and tissues in that region. It is usually performed when the patient complains of pain in the arm.
- Heart MRI: It is used to scan the heart to detect blockages and other anomalies related to the cardiac issues in a patient. Various heart conditions such as congenital heart disease, damage to the heart muscle, heart valve disorders, inflammation, and weakening of the heart muscle are detected through this MRI scan.
- Knee MRI: It is ordered by the orthopedic surgeon when he wants to investigate the knee joints and tissues closely for a better and more precise diagnosis. It may be indicative of certain conditions such as bone tumors, arthritis, broken bones or ligaments, inflammation in the knees, or when the patient needs a knee replacement surgery.
- Head MRI: This is used to create images of the brain and surrounding tissue present in the skull and nervous system. It may be indicative of diagnosing a stroke, brain abscess, hearing loss, headaches, dementia, and multiple sclerosis.
- Cervical MRI Scan: Numbness in the neck, recurrent pain in neck or arms, is indicative that an individual needs a cervical scan. It may lead to a diagnosis of a tumor, injury to the spine, congenital birth defects affecting the spine.
- Breast MRI Scan: This scan is ordered in addition to mammography or ultrasound in women to detect lumps, tumours and other abnormalities.
The cost may also be dependent on other miscellaneous factors that add to the total MRI scan cost.
MRI scan is one of the most common radiological tests ordered by doctors for various conditions. This scan uses magnetic waves to create detailed images of the inner tissues present in the human body. These waves produce superior quality and high definition images of a specific organ. This scanning procedure is mostly used to understand minute details about the required organ, when other scans do not offer a complete picture. This process usually takes anywhere between 15 to 90 minutes depending on the body part.
The average cost of MRI scan in India is usually between Rs. 1500 to Rs. 25000. However, the prices may vary depending upon the hospitals in different cities.
The cost of MRI scan in Hyderabad depends upon multiple factors and ranges from Rs. 3,000 to Rs. 18,150.
- Lowest cost in Hyderabad begins from Rs.3,000
- Average cost in Hyderabad can be approximately Rs.8,233
- Maximum cost in Hyderabad is up to Rs.18,150